Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Michael's band tour


Michael plays the tuba with his school band. Funny story there, he started as a trumpet player, and then moved to baritone because they needed some other instruments added in. After being on baritone for a few months, they needed a tuba player in the band so they had kids try that one out. Michael was the only kid able to get sound out of the tuba, it's such a large instrument you need to have really good lungs to play it. So anyway, now we have a kid practicing the tuba, and he's doing a great job. In fact, all of our neighbors for miles around can hear what a great job he is doing! (just kidding, but it is pretty loud!)

Michael had a band tour where they went to the four elementary schools that feed into our band program to perform. I spent the day with them helping out. It was interesting to be with 45 sixth graders all day, and let me tell you, I appreciate my son! He sat by me on the bus, he sat by me at lunch, and we had fun together. The other parents complained that their kids didn't want them around at all, so I felt really loved. The kids performed really well, and had fun missing their classes for the day. Here are a few video clips of them performing, of course I focused on Michael. I love watching the kids feet during their performances, about half of them are tapping to the beat all the way through. I tried filming that, but you couldn't really tell what was going.
I think these kids are pretty impressive for a first year band! The first song is Batman/Austin Powers, then Guantanamera, then Majestica.



2 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

What a funny story. He looks like he does a great job playing the tuba. I am impressed that he wanted to be with you while at school. I hope my girls never want me to blend in with the other parents and not be seen with them. I guess that is because you are a cool mom! :) By the way, I cant view the last video.

Tricia said...

Way to go Michael - the tuba is a cool instrument - you guys all sounded great. When I read about you and Michael at school it reminded me of when we lived in Wyoming and I would see Dad while waiting in the lunch line. He would see me and come up and swing me around. I was always so proud to say that he was my dad and wasn't embarrassed to see him.