Friday, October 3, 2008

Musicals

I have been on a Gene Kelly kick recently. I have found that it is much more enjoyable to iron if I have something fun to watch, so I have been multitasking. I love the more popular movies he was in like "Singing in the Rain", but I have seen some fun ones recently that I hadn't seen before like "On the Town," "Anchor's Aweigh," and "Take Me out to the Ballgame." If you like musicals, a really fun one that is kind of obscure is "Neptune's Daughter." It has Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban (he was the guy in Fantasy Island) and is a great show. That's where the song "Baby, it's cold outside" came from. Here are a few links for some of my favorites:

Neptunes Daughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAdEYU3btg

Singing in the Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEvy-9yVyQ

Brigadoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Od2idW0KM (this is where my name came from - "The Heather on the Hill")

On the Town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7QfCxuvLo (this one has Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra)

Xanadu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEwzzTYgDU (we used to watch this movie over and over as kids - now my girls love it!)

Enchanted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYU4cqUAUs not a classic, but still really fun

6 comments:

tamster17 said...

I haven't seen many of those musicals, but I might have to give some of them a try! Housework is always better jamming to music or watching something good. I still can't get over watching Xanadu with you during a sleepover in HS -- man that one is drug-induced girlfriend! :P That's 1 1/2 hours I will never get back!

tamster17 said...

While I'm spewing my opinion -- thought I'd put my two bits in on the movie Enchanted. It was a cute movie with a cute concept, but I was very surprised with Disney in regards to the clothes on the female characters -- the princess had major plunging bustlines and the evil woman's attire was bad -- super tight & awfully revealing! You can tell that as a society we really have become desensitized to immodesty. And the whole shower scene was distasteful and was embarrassing to have my 5 year old son at the time watch. I think Disney really turned a corner with this one and I wished I would have read the review on kids-in-mind.com to see what was actually in the show before I took my kids to see it. Did anyone else feel this way too?

Janessa Couch said...

That is so funny what Tammy wrote. You used to watch Xanadu all of the time. I watched it the other day and my girls were bored out of thier minds, I liked it though. I felt the same way about Enchanted, but I LOVED the music especially the song that you just posted. CUTE!

Mrs. Jamison said...

The way we watch most musicals at our house is skipping through most of the dialogue and watching the songs and dances. That is what I love about both Enchanted and Xanadu. I honestly don't remember a shower scene, but that is probably because I had little girls skipping to the songs they liked.

tamster17 said...

By the way, love your new blog look -- way cute!!!

Sorry about running at the mouth (or keyboard) about my feelings on your Musicals post girl. I do like the music from both Xanadu and Enchanted. The shower scene happens when the princess is first staying at the guy's house that is helping her out and it was really tacky because she walks out of the shower and two litte birds come in and wrap a towel around her just before you see anything and then she proceeds to walk around in the towel for awhile and ends up falling on top of him too. Just completely unneeded junk in the story. I'm glad your girls skip to the songs, that is probably a good thing! I was surprised when I looked it up on www.kids-in-mind.com to see their ratings on it. It received a 3 on Sex/Nudity which is sort of shocking for a Disney film if you ask me. It also tells you at the end the Discussion Topics to have with your kids about the movie which is interesting too. You guys should read it. It's amazing what movie makers sneak into films & eventually it doesn't shock us anymore. It just made me look at Disney differently and not trust that their movies will be clean, kid oriented stuff. Sadly, it's just not true anymore. I now check everything we watch on that website so I know what to expect and to know beforehand if we really want to see it. If I would have known about it before it would have saved me from watching some movies I could have totally gone w/o seeing and been better for it.

Patty said...

Your blog put me in the mood to watch, "Singing in the Rain". Someday when I am in control of the remote I will have to do that.
I love Clearplay because it cleans everything up.
I met a man in a chiroprator's office and he was calling Clearplay to see if they had filters for a comedian he want to share with a church youth group that night. He told me about Clean Flix and I wish we would have taken advantage of their movies when they were available.