Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hood to Coast Relay Race - 197 miles and still alive!

We ran in the Hood to Coast this weekend and had a great time. This was my fifth year! This is also the first year that Paul and I have been in the same car, and that was really cool. Normally, we each drive one of our cars and only see one another a couple of times during the race at exchanges between our cars, and talk on the phone a lot. This year we were together all the way through, and that was a fun change. Paul ran right after me, so it was fun to hand off to him at our exchanges. We did that one other year when I was the first runner in my car, and Paul was the last runner in his car, and our handing off to each other was the only time we saw one another until the end of the race. We would kiss as we handed off, and got lots of ooh's and aah's. We were pretty sore at the end of the race, but are doing good now. I was really pleasantly surprised that I didn't have more back problems during the race, yeah! Next year is going to be even better, my goal is to run 9 minute miles, so that is what I will be training for. I didn't take any pictures this year along the way, but these pictures were from the beach at the end of the race.
We had a great team this year, and a lot of fun cheering one another on. The three boys at the back on the right are only 14 and 15 years old! The three of them ran in the same car with their dad. They ran amazing paces-we thought they might fizzle out after the first or second times running, but they held strong, and actually ran quicker than they thought they would. This is the first year we have had anyone younger than 18 run with us, but we were pleasantly surprised.
Our team name is Numb because when you run for miles and miles you fall into a rhythm and feel like you can keep running forever because you become numb to it. (This is a theory, you do become numb to it to some degree, but hurt like crazy afterward!) We write on the car windows everyone's name, tally marks for roadkills (when you pass another runner it is called a roadkill), and other fun stuff. By the time I took this picture some of our writing had worn away, but the back window says Uncomfortably Numb. This race is so much fun, if any of you out there want to do it with us, let me know! It is hard, hot, stinky, tiring, and long, but an absolute blast! It is really rewarding to know that you can push your body to the limits and do something so extreme, I love it!

9 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I am so excited to be stinky with you next year. :) Hopefully I will not make your time down, but at least I will do it. I love the team name! It is better than the name you wanted the first year, "Janessa Chickened Out" or something like that.

Tricia said...

What a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! I would love to just watch you guys one year.

Unknown said...

So- I need to more details and I really might want to do it with you!

tamster17 said...

That is awesome you guys! I'm so impressed with your abilities and tackling a race like that! Not sure I could handle something like that -- running is not my thing. But if I keep working at getting myself into better shape - who knows, right???

Patty said...

I was waiting for your post and hoping that you were still alive. I figured Janessa would let me know if you weren't.
I'm so glad that your back did better than you thought. I thought about you a lot and hoped things would go well and no one would die or wish they would have.
It does really sound like a lot of fun!!!
The pictures are great.

Patty said...

Jared looks like a midget next to Paul. He needs some stilts.
That would be cool if a whole gain of you did the run together.
I am with Tricia I would love to watch.

Mrs. Jamison said...

Actually to be fair, all of the boys in the picture are standing on a log except for Jared and Tony. I thought Jared looked like a midget too until Paul pointed out the log. Sorry Jared!!!

Patty said...

That is good to know there was a log there. I don't think of Jared as short. I do think of us girls as being short except for Allyson. Warren has a good name for her,"Stretch".
Only a few more days till total quiet around your house.

Mrs. Jamison said...

I have no idea how to reply to you Katie, so I hope you see this! The race next year is Aug 28 and 29. There are 12 people on a team, and each person runs three times over about 24 hours, between about 3 1/2 and 8 miles each time running. It is a lot of fun. The entry is $95 per person, and we actually need to register by mid October.